FIRST Prepress Operator Certification
Special Offer! Sign up for Level I by Dec. 31 and receive a complimentary copy of FIRST 5.0 (a $99 value)!
Get the deal here
This certification is designed for prepress personnel wanting to gain an expert proficiency of flexographic prepress operations. After successfully completing this 3-level program, students will have a solid understanding of FIRST (Flexographic Image Reproduction Specifications & Tolerances) and how it applies within their daily routine of prepress operations, specifically how to:
- Achieve optimal results for consistency & color/tone accuracy
- Measure & control print variables
- Effectively manage digital assets throughout the workflow
- Perform calibration procedures as they relate to the graphic artist
- Utilize process control techniques throughout the workflow
- Streamline communication with internal/external customers & suppliers
- Enhance personal productivity as it contributes to the workflow
- Ensure each element within the workflow complies with FIRST methodology
Level I: 6 weeks, self-paced – sign up online
Level II: 12 weeks, self-paced – sign up online
Level III: 12 weeks, self-paced – sign up online
FIRST supports the methodical approach to process control, optimization, fingerprinting, characterization and process improvement as outlined in CGATS TR 012-2003 (Graphic Technology – Color Reproduction and Process Control for Packaging Printing). While each organization may use its own workflow based upon its specific needs, there are certain fundamentals universal to the flexographic printing process. With a firm understanding and application of the FIRST methodology, flexographers can: identify potentially troublesome issues, benchmark press performance, utilize statistical analysis to maintain optimal conditions, perform accurate device calibrations, identify improvement opportunities and preserve stable conditions for repeatable results –all with the end result of satisfactorily reproducing the graphic design.